Inspired by Verso Books’ excellent Guide to Political Walking, below is my guide to books that effortlessly combine walking, with musing about culture, literature, politics and geography, a form of exercise that I endorse.
- Wanderlust – Rebecca Solnit
- A Time of Gifts – Patrick Leigh Fermor
- Wildwood - Roger Deakin
- The Wild Places – Robert Macfarlane
- The Arcades Project - Walter Benjamin
- London Orbital – Iain Sinclair
- Mythogeography: A Guide to Walking Sideways - Phil Smith
- A Field Guide to Getting Lost – Rebecca Solnit
- Psychogeography by Will Self
- The Lost Art of Walking – Geoff Nicholson
I’ll also point you to Paul K. Lyons’ compelling straight line walk across London, which some enterprising publisher ought to pick up.
Please make suggestions of any books that ought to expand this list.