To welcome me home this evening, three packages bearing pre-ordered books, all of which are intended for consumption over the next six months. I found the Kristof edition today at the LRB.
Unwittingly I’ve been accumulating quite a stack of East European writers to read, so I plan to tackle the following during the first six months of this year. My eastward direction is perhaps a guilty reaction to my failure to head west to pursue my commitment to the Savage Detectives Group Read. I’m consumed with Krasznahorkai at present and don’t wish to read anything else for a few more weeks.
- The Melancholy of Resistance – László Krasznahorkai
- War & War – László Krasznahorkai
- Sátántango – László Krasznahorkai
- Embers – Sándor Márai
- Parallel Stories – Péter Nádas
- Fiasco – Imre Kertész
- Dukla – Andrzej Stasiuk
- Memories of the Future – Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky
- Theory of Prose – Viktor Shklovsky
- The Book Of Hrabal– Péter Esterházy
- The Foundation Pit – Andrei Platonov
- Skylark – Dezső Kosztolányi
- The Notebook / The Proof / The Third Lie – Ágota Kristóf